Powers and Duties
The following shall be the Officers of the University:
|The Deans of Schools / Faculties; ;
|The Finance Officer;
|Such other persons as may be declared by the Statutes to be the Officers of the University.
- The Governor of Andhra Pradesh shall be the Chancellor of the University.
- The Chancellor shall, by virtue of his office be the head of the University.
- The Chancellor shall, when present, preside at the Convocation of the University held for conferring degrees. He shall exercise such other powers and perform such other functions as may be conferred on or vested in him by or under the provisions of this Act.
- The Chancellor may, by order in writing annul any proceedings of the University, which is not in conformity with the provisions of this Act, the Statutes, the Ordinances or the Regulations.
Provided that before making any such order, he shall give a notice calling upon the University to show cause why such an order should not be made and if any cause is shown within the time specified therefore in the said notice, shall consider the same.
- The Pro-Chancellor of the University shall be nominated by the Chancellor and shall hold Office for a period of three years.
- In the absence of the Chancellor or during the Chancellor’s inability to act, the Pro-Chancellor shall perform all the functions of the Chancellor.
There shall be a Rector who shall be appointed by the Executive Council on the recommendation of the Vice-Chancellor in such manner and on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed by the Statutes from among the senior Professors. He shall exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be prescribed by the statutes.
The Deans of Schools / Faculties and other Officers:
The manner of appointment and powers and duties of the Deans of Schools, Faculties and other Officers of the University shall be prescribed by the Statutes and other Officers.
- The Government shall constitute a Search Committee consisting of.
The Search Committee shall submit a panel of three persons to the Government in alphabetical order and the Government shall forward the said panel to the Chancellor, who shall appoint the Vice-Chancellor, from out of the said panel.
Provided that it shall be competent for the Government to call for a fresh panel if they consider necessary and the Search Committee shall thereupon submit a fresh panel to the Government.
- A nominee of the Executive Council;
- A nominee of the University Grants Commission;
- A nominee or nominees of the participating Governments and Institutions;
- (A). The Vice-Chancellor shall not be removed from his office except by an order of the Chancellor passed on the ground of willful omission or refusal to carry-out the provisions of this Act, or abuse of the powers vested in him and after due enquiry ordered by the Government, by the Lokayukta or by such person who is or has been a judge of High Court or Supreme Court as may be appointed by the Chancellor in which the Vice-Chancellor shall have an opportunity of making his representation against such removal.
Provided further that where the Lokayukta enquiry into an allegation against the Vice-Chancellor under the Andhra Pradesh Lokayukta and Upa-Lokayukta Act, 1983 then notwithstanding anything contained in section 12 of the Act, the Lokayukta shall submit a report to the Government and the Chancellor shall act in accordance with advice tendered by the Government on a consideration of the report while exercising his powers under this sub-section.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall be the principal executive and academic officer of the University and shall exercise general supervision and control over the affairs of the University and give effect to the decisions of the authorities of the University.
- The Vice-Chancellor may, if he is of opinion that immediate action is necessary on any matter, exercise any power conferred on any authority of the University by or under this Act and shall report to such authority the action taken by him on such matter.
Provided that if the authority concerned is of opinion that such action ought not to have been taken, it may refer the matter to the Chancellor whose decision thereon shall be final.
Provided further that any person in the service of the University who is aggrieved by the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor under this subsection shall have the right to appeal against such action to the Executive Council within three months from the date on which the decision on such action is communicated to him and there upon the Executive Council may confirm, modify or reverse the action taken by the Vice-Chancellor.
- The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers and perform such other functions as may be prescribed by the Statutes or Ordinances.
- The Registrar shall be whole time paid officer of the University appointed by the Executive Council for a term of three years or less and on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed by the Statutes provided that he shall not continue in that office for more than six years.
- The Registrar shall act as the Secretary of the Executive Council and Academic Senate. He shall exercise such powers and perform such duties as may be prescribed.
- The Executive Council may transfer the Registrar to a suitable position even before the completion of the term, provided that he is shown a position in the University with the same emoluments.
The Finance Officer:
- The Finance Officer shall be a whole time officer of the University appointed by the University from out of a panel of three officers to be obtained from the Government in the Education Department on such terms and conditions as may be prescribed by the rules made by the Government in this behalf. He shall be the employee of the Government and the salary, allowance, pension and other remuneration shall be paid to him in the first instance out of the Consolidated Fund of the state and later recovered from the University.
- He shall maintain the accounts of the University and also advise the University on all matters relating to income and expenditure.
- He shall be present at the meeting of the Finance Committee and participate in the discussions but shall not be entitled to vote.