Prof. E. Sathyanarayana|
M.Sc., (Stat) M.A., (Eco) Ph.D
Having recently assumed the charge as the seventh Vice-Chancellor of Dravidian University, Kuppam. which came into existence in 1997, I deem it an honor to head and lead the university, which is virtually an inter-state university, situated in the trilingual junction of Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamilnadu states, While taking cognizance of the founding fathers' vision, reflected through the objectives stated herein, and gratefully acknowledging and my predecessors' valuable contribution to this University, I humbly, vouchsafe that the pious mission will be carried forward, with a vision of acquiring the university the stature of a National University. In fulfillment of the same, as a first step, measures have been initiated to brace up the University for NAAC's accreditation with high rating. In line of the same, further efforts are already afoot to put the University on the fast track of reformation and growth with regard to the tripod that remains as the base: teaching, research and administration. With all faith in the human and material potential of the University and in utmost practical spirit, I do visualize a university that is up-to-date in academics, research, administration and extension activities which will hopefully help the university to rise to the occasion, meeting the futuristic needs of students, community, the region and the nation. The congenital regional alignments and attachments of the University with the 5 Southern states will be further strengthened and sustained. At this juncture, I would reiterate the inceptive goals and chief objectives of the university which shall remain guiding and monitoring forces of the university in fulfilling the mission aforementioned:
- To conduct International level advanced research in the areas of Dravidian Culture, Folklore, History, Archaeology, Literature and
Philosophy with comparative and holistic approach.
- To work for an integrated development of Dravidian languages, both written and spoken, including Tribal languages of the Dravidian family
- To advance and disseminate learning and knowledge in and on Dravidian languages, literatures, cultures and traditional technology through diverse means of learning technologies.
- To take up extension activities with emphasis on rural development.
- To encourage research inside and outside the country in and on Dravidian studies.
- To translate books of Dravidian languages into other languages and also to translate books from other languages into Dravidian languages.
- To develop Dravidian languages as vehicles of modem knowledge systems.
Along with the above-avowed noble objectives, the university has been offering courses in Computer Sciences, Bio-technology, Management and Education.
Since the university is located in a rural and backward area, it cannot be oblivious of the limitations of its students. Hence, to empower them and to ensure both social and natural justices, fresh initiatives are being made. To begin with, the new administration has succeeded in announcing the results in a month's time, which is a record in itself in the recent past of the university, and thereby has kept the academic year intact, and more importantly facilitated a smooth path for students to pursue their further education or ambitions. On top of these, the university is now determined to implement the welfare and the affirmative programs that benefit the marginalized ones and students in general. These initiatives include proactive programs of the university to enable students realize their employment, sports and cultural potentials.
While being optimistic, I would sign off conceding that the task cannot be un-daunting. However, deriving strength from the human and material resources of the university, and the aura and strength of the noble ideology that formed the foundations of the university, I would recall the words of Lao-tzi's, a Chinese philosopher, "a journey of thousand miles begins with a single step."