The Dravidian University Central Library is also known as Bishop Caldwell Dravidian e-Resources Centre was started in the year 1997 with a small collection of books. Initially, the library was situated in camp-office at Kuppam. Later it was shifted to the Periyar bhavan in the new campus and is now housed in Narayana Guru Bhavan. The University Library is centrally situated and easily accessible to all the departments in the campus. The library serves the information needs of the students, research scholars, teaching faculty and non-teaching staff of the University and borrowers numbering around 1500.
The library has a large collection of 76 thousand volumes, in various subjects, are very useful to all users in general and for the researchers of the Dravidian languages in particular. In addition to book collection, the library concentrates on subscribing for the journals and learned periodicals which are very useful for the Dravidian research works. It aims to achieve this, through acquisition, organization and dissemination of latest library materials and providing information resources to the users from its rich and diverse collections and help in the development of highly motivated, knowledgeable, skilled and talented staff.
In order to achieve functional efficiency, the library is organized into different sections. They are circulation section, Periodical section, Technical section, Textbook collection, Reference Section, Quick Reference Section, Digital Library, Automation and Reprographic service etc. The library has 4 reading halls with seating capacity of 180 users at a time. The library follows open access system. Dewey Decimal Classification Scheme and Anglo American Cataloguing Rules – II are following for classification and cataloguing respectively. OPAC searching facility is also available in the Library.